Caught the night sky at our favorite Ranch in Paria, Utah
Many have asked about my Milky Way shots. These are my personal recommendations:
1) Must have New moon days. You have a day before and after a New moon to have completely dark skies. I use Photopills(app) to look at the schedule. It happens every month. You can look at your location or Google it.
2) Look at the schedule of when and where the Milky Way is and how it is going to move. Google it's pattern by season. Where is the Nebula (center and brightest most colorfull part of the Milky Way. Horizontal, Vertical, and direction from your position.
3) I use a Sony A7RII. 42 Megapixels but I started with a Sony A6000. Any camera should capture it.
4) I love a wide lens. My preferred is 16-35 f2.8 full frame on the 7RII and the 10-18 f4.5 on the 6000. The smaller the number fstops the less time on the shutter.
5) Settings: Shutter 20-30 seconds. Practice and see results. With the f2.8 (super wide aperture I use 25-30 seconds.
Aperture, the largest your lens has available. f2.8(the larger) through f5.6 (smaller). Open it to the widest available. If you have 1.4f even better. You can go for a faster shutter speed like 10-20 seconds.
ISO I use 3600 anything less you can't make out the Milky Way, but try it out.
Focus manually. I set it to 1m when I forget to set during daylight, take shots, re-focus and see results. Use tape to hold focus ring from turning. As you are handling the camera you can easily re-focus and change the focus setting.
DO NOT SET SHUTTER longer than 30 seconds. The Earth spins (YES! Flat-earthers, it is round) as the Earth spins the stars do not move, the Earth moves and the shot gets blurry. If you don't believe me try it. If you set the shutter longer, leave it long enough for an awesome star trail shot ;-). I will re-post a couple of shots with the actual settings as an example. Any other questions, just ask. Have fun!
ps. Photopills has a cool feature to see the milky way from any position in the world at any time. Check it out.
Solar Eclipse 2017 Redmond, Oregon
Copyright 2013. Oz Bz free4life. All rights reserved.